Alpha Kappa Alpha is the ONLY Way

Last week, I celebrated by my second AKAversary. November 20th, 2018, marked the date that I joined the best sorority there is, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Two years ago, I officially gained 10 lifelong sisters. Most of the women on my line were either friends, someone I had oddly crossed paths with before, or someone else I knew. Regardless of our standing before, they truly became my sisters.

Greek life was something I was familiar with before college. There were signs all around me, but I lacked the understanding. My old high school Vice Principal is a brother of Omega Psi Phi. I remember being in his office and seeing purple and gold, but not understanding the meaning. I had a business teacher during my freshman year of high school that I would later discover was one of my Sorors. As time would go on I would learn that I had several family members that were also my Sorors. Just before I got to campus I was introduced to the world of Greek life and once I stepped foot on campus I was shown the path that I should take.


Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., there is none like it. Just one generation removed from slavery my founders were able to create the FIRST Black Greek Sorority. My founders were brave women on a mission to improve the black community. There's nothing but pride to take in knowing that. They could've given up under the pressures of racism, sexism or any other obstacles. but they didn't. They created a legacy that would (and will forever) remain in a state of perpetuity.

Freshmen year, I met the women that I would eventually call my Sorors. All of them set such high standards and were the example of what a mature college women was. They were leaders in their communities and excelled in their programs. They were classy, polite, and poised. Not only did the women on my campus set a good example, so did other women out in the world like Kamala Harris and Phylicia Rashad. Because of this illustrious organization I have been lucky enough to meet other women like them who also share the vision that I do.

Celebrating my AKAversary was a time of reflection of why I joined this organization, the time spent, the memories I share with my sisters and how far we all have come. 11 Pearls of DILIGENCE has taught me lessons that I wouldn't have easily obtained elsewhere. I have no biological sisters so being surrounded my these women were a challenge at first, but it was easily overcome. They have taught me forgiveness and sisterhood. They have taught me love without judgement and patience. They have shown me what true commitment is. Each of them are so unique and powerful in their own ways. They are women of substance, women of pride (They know the rest!). As we graduate and go our separate ways, I appreciate them even more than I did before. I can't wait to support them in their professional and personal endeavors. I know they'll be wonderful mothers (Tahjae already is), inspiring church leaders, confident teachers, top researchers and excelling directors.


While I'm thankful for my line sisters, I am also thankful for the women that came before me in Kappa Alpha who continue to be encouraging big sisters. I'm especially thankful for P3rfect Kompletion, who's been with us through these two years. I can't forget about my neos, ReawaKening Reign, who continue to be exemplary leaders.

Two Years in the fold, I'm getting old. #TerribleTwos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Prevail in Trying Times

Mental Health, Perception & College Progression

The Divine 9: A Discussion of Dangerous Sexism